Woman hospitalised with infection after being licked by dog
AN ELDERLY UK woman developed acute kidney failure after being licked by her dog.
Scientists warn elderly people are at higher risk of developing such infections.
The 70-year-old woman was treated in hospital for an infection that was caused by bacteria found in cat and dog mouths. She did not have any scratch or bite marks on her and later recovered.
Research published Friday in medical journal.
The BMJ said this type of infection was rare and had a mortality rate of 26%. It also said diseases that could be transmitted to humans from animals were often misdiagnosed.