IF THERE is one lesson to be taken from Mara Wolford's experience it's make sure you watch your drink in Bali.
Ms Wolford took to Facebook on Thursday to relate an horrific experience she had after drinking two mojitos at a bar in Echo Beach, just north of Kuta Beach.
Her post, which has now been shared more than 18,000 times, explained she normally takes great care with her drinks but let her guard down on the night in question.
"The bartender makes them (her and her friends drinks) behind the bar out of my view," she posted.
"I don't worry about this, I'm chatting with the bar guys in bahasa and they're cool.
"I leave the drink on the bar and go to the bathroom. All of these acts -- ordering mixed drinks, not watching them being made and leaving a drink unattended - are fatal errors in Bali, but this evening, I wasn't too concerned."
However soon after finishing the cocktail a terrifying revelation began to set in.
"Half-way through the second mojito (also poured out of view), the Rohypnol kicked in with fury," she posted.
"I knew what it was because this happened three years ago and it was terrifying. From the speed in which this was happening, it felt like multiple doses."
After leaving the bar Ms Wolford wandered, dazed and confused through the streets before a Caucasian man on a motorcycle stopped beside her.
"I exit the bar, turn down the road, walk maybe 20 metres and fall flat on my face, out cold," Ms Wolford wrote.
"A motorbike passes, circles back around and stops. I can remember no detail about the driver other than he was Caucasian. My face is split open.
"I told him to take me back to MJs and he seemed to know where it was. He was trying to clean my face up, and I remember telling him it was fine. I know what is going to happen next and I don't want him to witness it."
What followed was the night from hell.
"Emilio comes home, worried about my disappearance, and the motorcycle guy explains what has happened, that I've been drugged," Ms Wolford wrote.
"I am now nearly paralyzed and can barely talk.
"And what happens next is, between projectile vomiting and loss of all bodily function, I nearly go into organ failure.
"I can feel my body shutting down. MJ runs into the bedroom, throws the guys out of the mess (we didn't get to thank the guardian angel, but thank you, whoever you are) and deals with this catastrophe. Dunno how to thank you, either, MJ."
The next day she awoke feeling like a truck had hit her, but, lucky and thankful to be alive.
She urged other people living in Bali to be aware of the problem and offering to send the owners of the bar she was at a photo of the man she alleges drugged her.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.