Why a QLD MP claims police should investigate her colleague


LABOR MP Jo-Ann Miller has urged the Queensland Police Commissioner to launch an investigation into former Health Minister Lawrence Springborg. 

Mr Miller claims Mr Springborg gave "false evidence" to her during the 2013 parliamentary budget estimates hearing.

During the 2013 hearing Ms Miller asked Mr Springborg if the BAC would be closed.

"I can guarantee that we will not be doing to the Barrett Adolescent Centre what the previous government planned, because the previous government did plan to close the Barrett Adolescent Centre and to actually relocate it," he said.

"It is true that the Barrett centre is under review."

But in her letter Ms Miller said a report into the closure of the BAC found Mr Springborg had already decided to close the centre at this stage.

Ms Miller announced in budget estimates on Wednesday that she had sent the letter to Commissioner Ian Stewart and posted the letter online.

"In fact, it has since become apparent that the review of the Barrett Centre had already been completed at that time, and the Minister had already made a decision to close the centre," Mr Miller wrote.

"I ask that the Queensland Police Service conduct an investigation into this matter to ascertain whether there is sufficient evidence that Mr Springborg may have committed an offence against section 57 of the Criminal Code to warrant the proffering of criminal charges against him."

The commission found neither Mr Springborg nor anyone in his office read an expert report into the centre's future.

Within a year of the centre's closure three former patients had taken their lives. A coronial inquest is investigating their deaths. - ARM NEWSDESK

Topics:  editors picks lawrence springborg police queensland parliament

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Big problem with new pension pay rise

Retirees receive a slight pension boost from this month.

Pensioners will receive an extra $13.20 a fortnight from this month

Donations flood into storm ravaged regions

Amanda Lindh at Murwillumbah Community Centre. Thanks to News Corp, Givit and the Red Cross, the centre will soon be re-opening its food pantry. The pantry was destroyed by flooding in the wake of Cyclone Debbie.

12 months later, Cyclone Debbie's impact still felt

Debbie the second most costly cyclone in Australia's history

The Insurance Council of Australia says the cost of Debbie's damage is second only to Cyclone Tracy which devastated Darwin in December, 1974.

$1.71 billion to fix damage from Townsville to Lismore

Local Partners