Two-year-old stung by box jellyfish
MOUNT Ossa mother Jessica Ballantyne will be making her daughter Ellie wear a stinger suit next time she goes in the ocean after the two-year-old was stung by a box jellyfish on December 30.
Ellie was in excruciating pain, she was screaming, "she was hysterical".
"I wouldn't wish it upon any child or parent," Mrs Ballantyne said.
"People should be more aware of stingers during the summer months."
The family had lunch at Cape Hillsborough and went for a swim, as they had many times before.
This time was different, within minutes Ellie was screaming after being stung by a box jellyfish on both legs. She was carried into the Cape Hillsborough Resort, where staff called 000 and gave her vinegar to put on the stings. It was an ordeal that ended with Ellie staying a night in Mackay Base Hospital.
"Staff at the hospital showered her with toys, gave her paints and drawings and teddies," Mrs Ballantyne said. "They were lovely." She said everyone was great, from the staff at Cape Hillsborough Resort to the family members who helped.
"I don't think we will be going for a swim any time soon," she said. "When Ellie does go back in the water she will be wearing a stinger suit."