Teen loses stomach after drinking liquid nitrogen cocktail

A WINE bar in the UK has been fined $244,600 after an 18-year-old girl had to have her stomach removed after drinking a free liquid nitrogen cocktail.

According to the Daily Mail, Gaby Scanlon, now 20, started vomiting after drinking the shot of Jagermeister laced with gas at her birthday.

Liquid nitrogen can be as cold as -196 degrees Celsius and doctors were forced to remove her stomach in order to save her life.

Oscar's Wine Bar had previously been warned about the risks of using the gas but prosecutor Barry Berlin said they "didn't properly police it".

Ms Berlin told the court how Miss Scanlon became violently ill after consuming the drink.

"She vomits clear liquid, pouring from her mouth and steam comes out of her nose.

"The liquid nitrogen hits her stomach and begins killing her internal tissue."

Miss Scanlon gave a statement to the court saying she immediately felt like she was "expanding".

"I tried to undo my skirt as my stomach had expanded because of the gas."

A representative for the wine bar said they "have learned their lesson every day for the last three years".


Topics:  bar cocktail uk

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

GRAPHIC IMAGE ALERT: Water skier's grizzly river discovery

A Goodna resident has taken a photograph of an animal that was possibly the victim of a shark attack in the Brisbane River.

Bull shark suspected after carcass left with chunk missing

OPINION: The NRL's hypocrisy over Matthew Lodge and racism

Should Matthew Lodge be playing football after assaulting and abusing five people?

Is allowing Matthew Lodge to play football redemption or hypocrisy?

Pensioner group responds to aged-care hotel change proposal

INCREASE: Council of the Ageing Queensland says the Metro Hotel Ipswich International's transformation into an aged-care facility would boost services.

Metro's change to nursing home 'speeds up new-bed process'

Local Partners