News

Racial tensions explode

Superintendent Noel Powers addresses the media outside Logan Central Police Station.
Superintendent Noel Powers addresses the media outside Logan Central Police Station. Inga Williams

THE family who live in a house targeted during racial violence at the weekend has vowed to fight back if attacked again.

Colin Barlow, whose sister lives in the Woodridge home, said racial tensions had been going on for years in the local area.

Police were called to the Douglas St address twice on Sunday after reports of violent clashes.

They first arrived at the house just after midnight on Sunday where they found property that had been damaged during a brawl between Pacific Islanders and Aboriginal residents.

Police found the property with smashed windows and holes to the exterior wall.

They were again called to the property late Sunday and allegedly found a group of more than 30 people fighting in the street.

But Mr Barlow said these scenes were nothing new.

"This has been going on for the past five years and I think it is only going to get worse," he said.

"I don't think this is an issue which is ever going to be resolved.

"If my family is ever going to be attacked, we will retaliate."

Speaking at a press conference on Monday, Superintendent Noel Powers said there would be more officers out on patrol in the coming week.

"Because of the incidents in that particular street in Woodridge, we have increased our police patrols," Supt Powers said.

"I would be a fool to say there wasn't tension between some races in the Logan community.

"We have got over 250 cultures all living within this one area.

 

"We want to resolve this, get it settled down and try and bring it to a successful conclusion."

Federal Member for Rankin Craig Emerson appealed for calm.

"Australia is a multicultural society founded on mutual respect and tolerance," Mr Emerson said.

"In Logan, we have, for the most part, managed to live in harmony despite a wide diversity of ethnic, cultural and religious backgrounds."

 

State Member for Woodridge Desley Scott visited the residents of the Douglas St property on Monday.

She said she had already been in talks with local elders after the weekend's incidents.

Two men have since been charged. A 17-year-old and a 21-year-old, both from Slacks Creek were charged with public nuisance and obstructing police.

The 17-year-old is expected to appear in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court on January 28. The other man is expected to appear on February 28.


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Five wheelie bins filled with dead bats after extreme heat

A Marburg woman picked up about 150 dead bats from her property.

Woman spends hours picking up rotting bodies

Expert: Why renters, home buyers may struggle

Matusik Property Insights director Michael Matusik.

What's next for the city's housing market

VIDEO: Cameras catch driver speeding through Ipswich

The driver was caught on Ipswich Safe City cameras.

IPSWICH man to appear in court today after allegedly stealing car

Local Partners

MOVIE REVIEW: Matt Damon's The Great Wall gets lost

The Great Wall feels about as artisanal as a fortune cookie. Its underlying message is just as trite.

Paul Murray listens to regions

Paul Murray is taking his Sky News show on the road to shine a spotlight on regional Australia.

Radio broadcaster wants viewers to 'turn up and fire up'

Why Hollywood’s siding with Brad Pitt over Angelina Jolie

Jolie may have the kids, but Pitt has custody of Hollywood

Tensions high at pointy end of MKR's round two

Things are really heating up on My Kitchen Rules.

Games are being played around the My Kitchen Rules table

Jungle Jay sent packing from I'm a Celebrity

I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out Here! contestant Jay Laga'aia with Keira.

BIG friendly giant Jay Laga'aia has been eliminated from I'm A Celeb

Carson Kressley brings 'camp' to I'm a Celebrity jungle

"I am not all Park Avenue and daffodils” ... Carson Kressley.

Meet the "campest” campmate to star on I'm a Celebrity.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi mystery already solved

FILE- This undated file photo provided by Disney shows Daisey Ridley as Rey, left, and John Boyega as Finn, in a scene from the film, \"Star Wars: The Force Awakens.\" Hasbro said it is changing its Star Wars Monopoly set after an 8-year-old girl became upset that Rey, the movie's female heroine, was not included as a figure along with Darth Vader and Kylo Ren. (Disney/Lucasfilm via AP, File) MANDATORY CREDIT

A key mystery surrounding the title of episode eight has been solved

Expert: Why renters, home buyers may struggle

Matusik Property Insights director Michael Matusik.

What's next for the city's housing market

Massive seaside development of 3200 lots

DESIRABLE LIFESTYLE: The masterplan for the proposed Elliott Heads Estate.

"There's nothing else left along the coastline of Queensland now"

Potential home buyers punished for doing the 'right thing'

Should I go to university or buy a house?

50 more high rise buildings planned for Brisbane CBD

Height limits have been scrapped for Brisbane CBD

800,000 more people expected to work in city over next 20 years

New suburb in the crosshairs of Coast vandals

UNDER WRAPS: Graffiti on art installations at the entrance to the newly opened Bells Creek Arterial Road has been covered up.

Vandal rechristens Stockland as something less than complimentary

Ready to SELL your property?

Post Your Ad Here!