NSW Police believe the same man is behind 27 sexual attacks on women that occurred between 1985 and 2001.
Police on Monday released two artist impressions of a man they believe sexually assaulted 27 women - aged 14-55 - in Sydney's East over a 16-year period.
In some of the attacks it is believed he broke into the women's homes. Police also said he used a knife, or threatened to use a knife, and covered his face during the attacks
In 2005 a strike force was established to investigate five sexual assaults that occurred in 2000 and Detective Acting Superintendent Mick Haddow said police investigations and DNA had linked the 27 cases.
He also said DNA profiling had been conducted across Australia and internationally but the man had not been identified.
Supt Haddow said there was no particular person of interest at this stage and they were appealing to the public for help.
Investigators believe the man would now be aged 45-64, is 160-180cm tall with a dark complexion, dark wavy hair, brown eyes and a broad nose.
Anyone who may have lived in the area between 1984 and 2001 and recalls seeing a man matching the description acting suspiciously is urged to contact police.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.