Man, 50, accused of sexually assaulting three-year-old
WARNING: Graphic content which may cause distress
A MAN accused of sexually assaulting a three-year-old girl at a chalet in the state's alpine region has lost a legal challenge to have his identity suppressed, while police believe there may be more victims.
David Carl Ewen, 50, yesterday was refused bail, with Sydney Central Court hearing Ewen allegedly stroked a child's thigh and licked her genitalia while he was staying at a holiday lodge in the Snowy Mountains during the July school holidays.
Police arrested Ewen at his home in Roseville, on Sydney's north shore, late last week and charged him with sexually assaulting the three-year-old girl inside the Chalet Sonnenhof, a popular holiday lodge for families at Perisher Valley.
It is alleged Ewen lured the girl away from her family when they were having dinner at the chalet, taking her to a secluded stairwell near the reception area where he licked her on her genitalia, the court heard.
Later that same evening the girl's mother also allegedly observed Ewen putting his hands on the daughter's inner thigh while Ewen was sitting with the girl on a nearby couch.
The court heard it was not until 10 days after the alleged sexual assault took place that the three-year-old told her mother and older sister what had really happened with Ewen at the chalet.
The crown prosecutor told the court police suspect there may be other victims who were sexually assaulted by Ewen, with the family of one seven-year-old taking out an Apprehended Violence Order against him earlier this year.
The child reported two incidents where Ewen allegedly rubbed his hands along the child's inner thigh.
However, the family did not want to pursue the matter criminally at the time.
Magistrate Sharon Freund said the allegations against the accused were serious and the crown's case was strong.
"Taking all that together there is an allegation that has some merit and weight. Show cause has not been shown and accordingly bail is refused," Ms Freund told the court.
An interim suppression order had been placed on reporting the accused's name last Saturday, following Ewen's appearance before Parramatta Local Court.
He did not apply for bail and it was formally refused.
The Daily Telegraph fought to name Ewen in the local court on Thursday, with Ms Freund ruling in the newspaper's favour.
Ms Freund told the court there was significant public interest in the case and "open justice must prevail".
"There is a public interest in relation to the suppression order being revoked in my view," Ms Freund said.
"Further witnesses could come forward and possibly further complainants. Accordingly these suppression orders are revoked."
Ewen's elderly parents attended court yesterday and were visibly upset when he was refused bail.
He is locked up in Silverwater Jail.
The case will next be heard in Queanbeyan Local Court in October.