A SEVERE thunderstorm warning with damaging winds has been issued for southern Queensland.
The Bureau of Meteorology reports a broken line of thunderstorms extends from western parts of the Southeast Coast district to the south Burnett, and will move rapidly eastwards towards the southeast Queensland coast in the next hour or two
A few of the storms embedded in the line may produce strong to damaging wind gusts over the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Gold Coast, Brisbane, Coolangatta, Ipswich, Boonah and Beenleigh.
Severe thunderstorms are no longer occurring in the Darling Downs and Granite Belt district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
Queensland Fire and Emergency Services advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:20 pm.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.