FORMER Howard government minister Larry Anthony is among 12 Liberal-National Party candidates vying to replace Barnaby Joyce in the Senate.
Mr Joyce is attempting to wrest the lower house seat of New England from independent MP Tony Windsor and intends to stand down from the Senate just before writs are issued for the federal election on August 12.
More than half of the LNP Senate hopefuls hail from regional Queensland, including former Mackay mayor Julie Boyd, Dr David Van Gend (Toowoomba), Mary Carroll (Central Queensland), Raymond Brown (Western Downs) and Georgina Somerset.
Barry O'Sullivan, who stood down as LNP treasurer to contest the pre-selection ballot, is also among the nominees.
The LNP's State Council, which comprises more than 400 party members, will meet in Mackay to select the party's candidate on May 25.
Whoever wins the ballot will serve the balance of Mr Joyce's Senate term, which expires on June 30, 2017.
LNP state director Brad Henderson said the party was delighted with the number and calibre of candidates.
"Queenslanders can be confident that our candidate will join a terrific team led by Tony Abbott and Warren Truss who will fix the mess created by Labor, the Greens and independents and deliver our plan for a strong, prosperous economy and a safe, secure Australia," Mr Henderson said in a statement.
The LNP late last year endorsed a six-candidate ticket to contest the half-Senate election to be held on September 14.
Theresa Craig, who is number five on the LNP ticket, has also nominated to fill Mr Joyce's seat.
If Dr Craig is pre-selected the State Council will choose a replacement during the Mackay meeting.
- Robert Ah Wing, Director (Indigenous education)
- Larry Anthony (Former member for Richmond and businessman)
- Julie Boyd (Consultant and company director)
- Raymond Brown (Mayor and Gasfields Commissioner)
- Mary Carroll (Tourism and regional development executive)
- Dr Theresa Craig (Small business owner and scientist)
- Clement Grehan (Surveyor and mine planner)
- Richard Hackett-Jones (Taxation reform advocate)
- Barry O'Sullivan (Company director and businessman)
- Roderick Schneider (Financial adviser) Georgina Somerset (Beef producer and businesswoman)
- Dr David Van Gend (Medical doctor and senior lecturer)
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.