CONSTRUCTION of the new Growler Airborne Attack Capability facilities at Amberley is imminent as more than 40 tenders have been called for the project.
The $348 million project needs plenty of support including from some unusual business like bird proofing.
The work involves the demolition of the existing airside pavement and buildings before about 65,000 sqm of new pavement, 2.5km of fuel pipeline, two aircraft shelters and a two storey commercial building can be built.
The project needs 41 services as the first in a two-stage tender process including office furniture, white goods and cleaning, structural steel, landscaping and glazing.
Work is expected to start in August with construction happening between February 2018 and October 2018.
A statement of evidence to the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Public Works in August 2015 revealed the EA-18G Growler, an airborne electronic attack aircraft, was capable of providing force level electronic warfare support by disrupting, deceiving or denying a broad range of military electronic systems, including radars and communications.
The aircraft will be able to support the full spectrum of defence tasks, from peacetime evacuations to major conflicts.
"12 new-build EA-18G Growler aircraft will operate in conjunction with air, land and sea forces. The capability will reduce the risk to forces and improve their situational awareness," the statement of evidence read.
Managing contractor Lendlease is calling for the following tenders for the Growler Airborne Electronic Attack Capability Facilities Phase Two.
- Traffic control and labour, demolition, civil works, concrete supply, reinforcement supply, hydrant refuelling, airside pavements demolition and civil, airside pavements concrete place and finish
- Final clean, scaffolding, mobile crane, piling/ bored piers, concrete pumping, concrete place and finish, detailed excavation, formwork
- Reinforcement fix, post tensioning, blockwork, structural steel, external glazing, internal glazing, louvres, metal roofing and fall arrest
- Bird proofing, metalwork, workstations, joinery, office furniture and whitegoods, ceilings and partitions,carpet and vinyl, land survey, tiling and waterproofing
- Signage, painting and render, hydraulics services, electrical and communications services, mechanical services, lift services
- Fire services, hard and soft landscaping, packing and storage
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.