Chester the cat woke Charlie Gordon and Abbie Kark before a fire in their garage could spread into the unit.
Chester the cat woke Charlie Gordon and Abbie Kark before a fire in their garage could spread into the unit. Tara Miko

Hero kitty saves Kearneys Spring couple from fire

A YOUNG couple owes their lives to their cat Chester after he alerted them to a fire in their Kearneys Spring garage.

The five-month-old feline woke Abbie Kark, 18, and Charlie Gordon, 20, about 4.30am yesterday by furiously scratching on the bedroom door.

It was only when Ms Kark opened the door to let Chester into the room she saw the black smoke billowing under the garage door and into the unit.

The couple quickly scooped up Chester and grabbed their phones to call emergency services which arrived on scene shortly after.

They moved Mr Gordon's ute out of the garage and quickly smothered the fire that had threatened to spread into the roof.

The fire, which is believed to have started in the washing machine in the garage, caused extensive smoke damage to the unit into which the couple moved about five months earlier.

As the extensive clean up got under way yesterday, Ms Kark said Chester had proven more effective than the working fire alarms in the unit having woken them up minutes before they sounded.


Fast, extreme off-road racing heads to Coulson this weekend

Fast, extreme off-road racing heads to Coulson this weekend

Racegoers will be treated to fast paced, off-road racing action

Salvos forum to tackle ice addiction

Salvos forum to tackle ice addiction

Support will be offered for families and individuals

Cattle truck crash cleanup expected to last into the night

Cattle truck crash cleanup expected to last into the night

Motorists are advised to avoid the area.

Local Partners