PREMIER Annastacia Palaszczuk has reaffirmed the government's commitment to tackling the domestic violence scourge gripping the state.
The government will introduce a raft of new legislation this week aimed at reducing violence in Queensland homes.
The changes include an increase in the maximum penalties for first-time breaches of domestic violence orders to three years jail and subsequent breaches to up to five years jail.
It will also include affording victims special witness status when giving evidence in court proceedings against perpetrators.
Ms Palaszczuk told State Parliament on Tuesday domestic violence was one of the biggest issues facing the state.
She said she was shocked, like most people across the state, at the events which unfolded last week which resulted in the death of three people in separate incidents.
"Queensland stands together against domestic and family violence," she said.
"I struggled to understand how any human could act in what appears to be such a callous and vicious way to end the life of another.
"Despite our society's overwhelming rejection of domestic violence, it happens, and often behind closed doors."
Communities Minister Shannon Fentiman said two women were killed at the hands of their partner in Queensland each week.
She said domestic violence was a crisis gripping the whole community.
"We know there is much to do," she said.
"That is why we are fast-tracking some of the recommendations contained in the Not Now, Not Ever report."
- APN NEWSDESK.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.