DESPITE a frantic effort to save their home, a Bundaberg family has lost everything after a fire tore through their shed and caravan.
Steven Gregor and his son Peter had their life inside the shed on the rural property at Three Chain Rd - where they grow sugar cane for their sugar cane juice business.
Fire crews rushed to the blaze about 2.30am Monday but they were unable to save the caravan and contents inside the shed.
Steven said he woke to go to the toilet and noticed flames coming from the corner of the shed.
He and Peter used up to six fire extinguishers to douse the flames, but it spread so quickly.
When the extinguishers ran out they tried to use water from their tanks but the electricity had cut out, disabling the pumps.
"I was grabbing one fire extinguisher and then another," Steven said.
"I got showered with melting plastic and the smoke was half way down the door.
"I shut the door to stop the oxygen and waited for the fire brigade to arrive.
"Everything's gone, 30 years of photos, I had three separate hard drives...all three of them burnt next to the computer, all gone. We have nothing, no shoes no clothes, nothing."
Steven said he'd leant the hard way that water tank pumps should not be wired through the house.
"That's a lesson to learn for everybody. Anyone who has a water tanks, do not run the water tank electricity pump through the house. That's the first thing to go," he said.
"We had no water because the electricity shut off and all the pumps shut down."
Sadly two baby parrots Peter had been hand raising where unable to be saved.
"That's what I care about. It's horrible they went that way," he said.
The family, who had planned to take their Hungarian Langos and Sugar Cane Juice van to the Childers Festivals on Sunday, are unsure if they will make the event.
"We have to buy new fridges, new containers, everything," Steven said.
But despite the heartache, Steven said the community had already begun to rally around them.
"Everyone is very helpful. We went to the shops and everybody looked after us, people were offering us lunch," he said.
"We're lucky to be alive."
QFES will investigate the blaze, but a spokesman said there was nothing to indicate it was suspicious.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.