South Burnett employment is about to surge

UNEMPLOYMENT: Employment opportunities could surge with new initiative.
UNEMPLOYMENT: Employment opportunities could surge with new initiative.

THE Wide Bay has the fifth highest unemployment rate in Queensland, according to a government report released last month.

But the South Burnett's unemployment rate dropped by a whopping 26% in the past 15 months.

This suggests 1129 new jobs were created in the South Burnett, which means more people are employed now than just a year ago.

Kingaroy Sarina Russo's Karen Miller said some of the region's industries grew, but others "stagnated or dropped".

She said meat works like Swickers, and aged care reported growth, and were in the position to put more people on.

"I think social welfare in general has increased the amount of positions available," she said.

She said the growth reflected the South Burnett's demographic.

"There's definitely been a trend of people moving to our area that can't afford more expensive areas," she said.

But she said other sectors, like retail and mining, were not so prosperous.

"A lot more people are buying online, and with the decrease in mining, a lot of people like boiler makers are not able to get into that industry anymore," she said.

While she said employment "stagnated" Ms Miller said the South Burnett would soon boast much better employment opportunities.

Ms Miller said the state government's new Back to Work initiative, released July 1, was fantastic news for regions like Kingaroy.

"I think it's a great initiative for both employers and employees," she said.

"Not only will it increase the opportunities for job seekers, it will give them more skills.

"Employers who take advantage of the initiative will also get up to $15,000 over 12 months if they employ someone who's unemployed."

Topics:  editors picks kingaroy south burnett unemployment

South Burnett

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

NOT GUILTY: Man accused of burglary found not guilty

Rudi Gregoratos is on trial for a violent robbery at Springfield Lakes.

She dropped him off at a Goodna park. Days later, she was assaulted.

Annette Mason inquest to hear from dozens of witnesses

Annette Mason. She was found dead in November 1989.

Inquest was re-opened 28 years after teen died

Pensioner whose backyard sank into hole robbed

ANOTHER BLOW: Lynn McKay, the Basin Pocket pensioner whose backyard sink hole made headlines around the world in 2016, had her handbag stolen in the Ipswich CBD. She's appealing for the thief to return the bag.

And police give her even more bad news after reporting it

Local Partners