TYRONE Michael Baynton, 29, has been confirmed by police as the man who was killed last night due to a stab wound to the neck.
They are treating the case as a homicide.
Police were called to the scene just after 6pm Sunday night and located the body in the backyard of the Arcturus St block of units.
He was pronounced dead at 6.18pm.
Detective Inspector Nikki Colfs described the homicide as "horrific" and said police were hoping to provide Mr Baynton's "distraught" Mackay-based family with answers during the next few days of investigations.
"Obviously the family are pretty distraught and they are looking for answers," she said.
"We're hoping our investigations in the upcoming days are going to reveal some answers in relation to this horrific homicide."
Detectives from state crime homicide in Brisbane were flown to Mackay and were at the scene today.
"We've also got forensics and scientific at the scene (as well). The crime scene has been established at the group of units in North Mackay and they'll be processing the scene today and tomorrow," she said.
She said they had one witness helping police with enquiries and were hoping to get CCTV footage from other places in the area, but called on members of the public to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 with information.
She said Mr Baynton was not known to police previously, and the homicide was unrelated to other incidents.
"The public can assist us and may just hold the key to solving this homicide," she said.
POLICE are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 29-year-old man in North Mackay last night.
Just after 6pm, police were called to an address on Arcturus St following reports a man had been located with a stab wound.
A QAS spokeswoman said paramedics treated the man at the scene about 6.18pm.
He was unable to be revived and was declared deceased.
Earlier, the Daily Mercury reported five police vehicles and a forensic team had cordoned off the North Mackay street near the Gooseponds while authorities investigated the incident.
Police will hold a press conference to address the media later today.
This is the third stabbing incident in the North Mackay area in recent times.
In August police established a number of crime scenes after two men were assaulted in North Mackay including at John Breen Park and Daniel St, Mount Pleasant.
Ryan Kayde Lowe faced Mackay Magistrates Court on September 25 charged with two counts of attempted murder.
Lowe was accused of having attacked two men, who allegedly were known to him, on August 30 this year.
One of the men, a 27-year-old who allegedly was stabbed at a house in Beaconsfield, received a serious head wound.
He was placed into an induced coma in Townsville Hospital but it is believed he has now regained consciousness.
The second victim is alleged to have been attacked in a toilet block at John Breen Park, at the Gooseponds. Police said this man, believed to be 23, had about 30 wounds to his head and face.
Chris Schrader, of Legal Aid, representing Lowe, sought a remand date and directions for a brief of evidence.
Police prosecutor Michael Ball also requested that the application to extend be based on further forensic requirements.
Anyone with information that could assist with this matter should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.