BREAKING 11.15AM: THE honeymoon phase is over for Capricorn Resort at Yeppoon with significant downsizing to take place by the new year.
Two accommodation buildings are set to close after the Christmas and new year period following the removal of the Mercure Branding last month.
Accor will no longer manage the holiday destination as of the end of the month with resort owner Iwasaki Sangyo taking over operations from November 1.
Capricorn Enterprise CEO Mary Carroll confirmed the change this morning.
"In order to avoid rumours which are currently circulating regarding the operation of Capricorn Resort, Yeppoon, I provide information as provided to me," Ms Carroll said
"In December 2013, the future redevelopment of the company's property was declared a State Significant Project by the State Government, with the company currently undertaking an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)."
Plans for Capricorn Resort
- Mr Ross Greenaway is the current General Manager of the Resort, with Mat Finch returning to Accor
- From the 1st November 2015, the 113 rooms in the Royal Palms building (the reception building) will remain OPEN and available for bookings
- From 1st December 2015, Queen Palms (The Palms) accommodation (convention centre building) will close
- Araucaria building (apartments) will close after the Christmas and New Year period
- All current bookings at the Resort in any of the three accommodation buildings will be honoured, so guest disruption will be minimal
- From 19th October 2015, the Resort Golf Course (the 'old') will be closed
- The Championship Golf course (the "new") will remain open
- All three restaurants - Tsuruya (Japanese restaurant), Billabong, Lagoon will remain open
- The two bars - Rocks bar (reception building) and Ripples Bar (by the pool) will remain open
- Conference Facilities - will continue but will be monitored for further review
- Horse riding, massage, resort shop and café will be reviewed (please note that the horse riding is currently operated by a private contractor)
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.