City’s RAAF past key to our history
IPSWICH's history is being captured for future generations to enjoy through the Picture Ipswich website.
The online archive contains images operated by Ipswich Libraries to capture the lifestyle and history of our city.
This interesting photograph from Picture Ipswich shows Amberley Air Force Base in 1941.
Amberley commenced operations as a RAAF base on June 17, 1940 with Squadron Leader SAC Campbell as its first Commanding Officer.
The first RAAF plane arrived in July, a Moth Minor of the No 24 Squadron.
Several Australian-built Wirraways arrived a few days later.
A look back through the Picture Ipswich database reveals that in June:
- 1859 St Paul's Anglican Church opened
- 1875 Railway between Ipswich and Brisbane officially opened
- 1882 Silkstone State School opened
- 1888 Christian Brothers school opened by Archbishop Dunne
- 1901 Technical College on Limestone St opened
- 1931 A Hockey Association was formed and the first game was played at the
- Showgrounds between Boomerangs and St Stephens
- 1935 Aeroplane accident in Rosewood
- 1935 Ipswich Men's Hockey Association formed
- 1940 Amberley commenced operations as a RAAF base
- 1943 Mary Tregear Hostel opened
- 1949 Telephone Exchange building corner Brisbane and East completed
- 1957 Commencement of construction of Burnie Boards (would become Australian Hardboard) Bundamba
- 1961 Limestone and Brisbane Sts converted to a one way street system
- 1961 West Ipswich Police Station closed
- 1965 David Trumpy Bridge opened
- 1980 Opening exhibition of the Ipswich Art Gallery in the building on the corner of Limestone and Nicholas Streets (d'Arcy Doyle Place)
Anyone with photos on these events or other items of interest for the Picture Ipswich database can phone 3810 7272.