FOUR CORNERS: Abuse victim Dylan's touching letter
UPDATE: THE boy at the centre of Four Corner's expose of the Northern Territory's juvenile detention system has spoken out -sending a touching letter of thanks to his supporters,
During last night's episode of the show Australians watched on in horror as Dylan Voller was beaten, stripped and tied to a chair in a series of incidents PM Malcolm Turnbull described as a "shocking state of affairs."
This evening Peter O'Brien - Voller's criminal defence lawyer - has released a letter from the 18 year-old thanking those who have supported him.
"I would just like to thank the Australian public for the support you have showed to us boys," he wrote before going on to thank his lawyers and a number of other who helped him along the way.
Dylan Voller has instructed us to release this letter: pic.twitter.com/yJoZHoAgJn— Peter O'Brien (@OBrienSolicitor) July 26, 2016
UPDATE: THE Northern Territory's Minister for Correctional Services has been dropped after harrowing footage of children been shackled to chairs, stripped and gassed was aired on ABC's Four Corners last night.
Country Liberal John Elferink will reportedly keep his remaining portfolios including the role of Attorney-General and Leader of Government business.
The Northern Territory's Chief Minister Adam Giles said the corrections system had developed a cover-up culture.
"I would say that seeing some of that footage last night and understanding many of the historical elements within our corrections system, that I think over time there has most certainly been a culture of cover-up within the corrections system," he told Fairfax.
Mr Elfernick had already confirmed he would not be re-contesting his seat in the upcoming Northern Territory election which is scheduled for next month.
UPDATE: Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has announced he will establish a royal commission into Northern Territory juvenile detention.
The announcement comes after the NT Chief Minister Adam Giles issued a statement stating he was "shocked and disgusted" and also called for a royal commission.
Mr Turnbull said the royal commission would be held in conjunction with the Northern Territory Government.
"This is a shocking state of affairs and we will move quickly to establish what happened, as Gillian Triggs said last night, this needs a thorough inquiry," he said.
Footage of a teenager shackled to a "mechanical restraint chair" while at a Northern Territory detention centre prompted Australia's Human Rights Commissioner Gillian Triggs to call for a formal inquiry.
The video released by Four Corners shows Dylan Voller, 17, having his face covered and tied to a chair, after the boy threatened to hurt himself so he could go to hospital.
His threat was enough to have him moved to an adult prison for the punishment, which lasted almost two hours.
Voller is shown handcuffed and hooded, and ordered by guards to walk backwards into a solitary holding cell.
Voller asks why his mattress was taken away, and is told it was punishment for chewing on his mattress and threatening to hurt himself.
The guard tells the boy he put himself in this position by misbehaving.
Guard: "Might get the restraint chair possibly as well."
Voller: "I don't want the restraint chair bro."
After his time in the chair, guards ask him if he his "a lot calmer" and he agrees. His arms are pulled behind him and he is cuffed again.
It follows revelations that young detainees were sprayed with tear gas 10 times after a boy left his unlocked cell. Other detainees were also struck by the gas, despite some quietly playing cards.
Four Corners reports he has been in detention regularly since he was 11 years old, and has faced charges for aggravated assault and robbery
He is now 18 years old and incarcerated in Darwin's adult prison.
The teenager's lawyers say Voller is a victim of "institutionalisation"
More footage shows Voller being picked up by the neck and thrown by guards.
Ms Triggs said the footage was "extremely distressing".
She told ABC's Q&A Program on Monday there needed to be an independent government investigation.
"I certainly think we need some kind of Government-based independent commission, whether it's a full royal commission or not I don't know," she said.
"If one of us were to have been found to have treated our children in this way we would probably be charged with a criminal offence and the children would be taken away from us.
"It's an extremely distressing piece of footage to look at and I have visited many detention centres, sadly. I have never seen conditions of that kind and I have never seen people treated in that way."