UPDATE: OFFERS of donations and support have started to flow for the Wilsonton family whose home caught fire early Sunday afternoon.

Real Way real estate agent and spokeswoman for the family Cherryl Jones said the family was in shock but were starting to pick up the pieces from the home's soggy remains.

"They're still in shock and are pretty shattered," Mrs Jones said.

"I've been going around and calling people to see if they have anything to spare."

Mrs Jones said any donations or offers of help can be made to her on 0427 250 868.

 

EARLIER: A WILSONTON family will today try to salvage what they can from their fire-damaged Nuss St home.

The back room of the two-storey rental property was gutted after a candle ignited a mattress about 3.35pm yesterday.

Anzac Avenue Fire Station officer Darrin Kerr said a man, woman and three children were home when the blaze started

"A child who lit a candle went away to get something to put the candle on, but unfortunately rested it on a foam mattress," Mr Kerr said.

(The) mattress caught alight and then the fire was too large for the family to try and contain before they could get back.
 

Firefighters remove a burnt mattress from a Nuss St home yesterday.
Firefighters remove a burnt mattress from a Nuss St home yesterday. Bev Lacey

"He (the child) actually tried to put the fire out and get the smoke out of the house by opening windows but as a result he has subjected himself to breathing the smoke in and he is having a few breathing difficulties."

Mr Kerr praised the family for evacuating quickly.

"Another great thing is the smoke alarms inside the house were working, which gave the family early warning.

"When we arrived they were already all outside the house and safe and they greeted us on the front footpath."

Queensland Ambulance Service paramedic Greg Milthorpe said a 10-year-old boy was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being taken to Toowoomba Hospital for observation.

"The young fellow was basically pretty emotionally upset when we got here," Mr Milthorpe said.

Mr Kerr said firefighters did well to contain the fire to the back room.


'No beach left': New sinkhole biggest one yet

'No beach left': New sinkhole biggest one yet

New sinkhole swallows chunk of popular beach

VIDEO: Imprint of shoe found on bashing victim's face

VIDEO: Imprint of shoe found on bashing victim's face

The woman had an imprint of a shoe on her cheek

Ipswich council to sue collapsed hardware giant Masters

Ipswich council to sue collapsed hardware giant Masters

Claims former Masters owners owe hundreds of thousands of dollars

Local Partners