Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie
Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie Tom Huntley

Boot camp operator's contract cancelled after escapes

THE group operating a controversial court-ordered boot camp for young people near Cairns have had their contracts cancelled by Attorney General Jarrod Bleijie after offenders escaped earlier this year.

In April a pair of teenagers escaped from the camp after threatening staff with a knife.

After first allegedly failing to steal a car, the 13-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl were believed to have robbed a 59-year-old woman in the nearby town of Kuranda.

Mr Bleijie gave camp operators Safe Pathways a week to explain, but in a statement on Tuesday, he said the explanation was not good enough and the agreement dumped.

On Tuesday, he called for interest from groups wanting to develop a new camp in the Cairns area.

"This won't be a holiday camp," Mr Bleijie said.

"The sentenced youth boot camp will see prolific young offenders take responsibility for their behaviour and participate in a program that addresses the causes of their offending."

The two-year trial will handle 20 young people each year, less than two per month.


Collingwood Park woman, 25, dies in horrific highway crash

Collingwood Park woman, 25, dies in horrific highway crash

The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating

Friend to foe: Barty sinks US Open partner

Friend to foe: Barty sinks US Open partner

Ash Barty produces serving masterclass to down doubles partner

The building trend hurting our tradies

The building trend hurting our tradies

Serious risks identified ahead of immediate ban

Local Partners