Black Lives Matter protests continue after Dallas killings

UPDATE: DALLAS police have searched their headquarters this morning after reports of a suspicious person and a threat made to officers across the city. 

Dallas PD briefly asked media to stop live broadcasting from the building and swept each floor. 

They later tweeted the search was performed as a cautionary move. 


YESTERDAY: PROTESTS against two fatal police shootings have continued across America in the wake of a Dallas protest that turned deadly.

Video that surfaced on social media showed officers used tear gas and rubber bullets at a rally in Phoenix on Saturday (Australian time) when protesters threw rocks at the line of police dressed in riot gear.

Marchers chanted "hands up, don't shoot," as they walked through the city and attempted to walk on a highway still in use by traffic.

The Phoenix police service said via Twitter that a person suspected of throwing rocks was in taken into custody.

Local media reported the protest was then shut down, after helicopters and armoured vehicles had been deployed.

Earlier in the day rappers Snoop Dogg and The Game met with police executives in Los Angeles after organising a peaceful march to police headquarters.

"There's no way this can keep going on," Snoop said in a video posted to his Twitter account.

"They (the police and mayor) gave us their attention, their undivided attention."

"They heard us speak and we'll come back and dialogue some more and put some plays together.

Other rallies and vigils were also held in Detroit, New York, Washington and other cities.

In Dallas, a city in mourning after the deaths of five police officers at a protest yesterday, people gathered in memorial rather than in protest.

An alleged lone sniper targeted white police officers at a protest yesterday. Police officers used a bomb robot to kill the sniper and end a siege in a Dallas parking garage.

The rallies were prompted by the shootings of Philando Castile in Minnesota and Alton Sterling in Baton Rouge.

The aftermath of Mr Castile's shooting was live streamed on Facebook when his partner, Diamond Reynolds, began to film the officers who shot her boyfriend during a traffic stop.

He was shot after he told officers he had a gun, which he was legally allowed to carry, in the vehicle.

The graphic video shows Ms Reynolds being arrested after officers shot Mr Castile.

It has been watched more than four million times.

Topics:  america black lives matter editors picks

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Annette Mason inquest to hear from dozens of witnesses

Annette Mason. She was found dead in November 1989.

Inquest was re-opened 28 years after teen died

Pensioner whose backyard sank into hole robbed

ANOTHER BLOW: Lynn McKay, the Basin Pocket pensioner whose backyard sink hole made headlines around the world in 2016, had her handbag stolen in the Ipswich CBD. She's appealing for the thief to return the bag.

And police give her even more bad news after reporting it

GRAPHIC IMAGE ALERT: Water skier's grizzly river discovery

A Goodna resident has taken a photograph of an animal that was possibly the victim of a shark attack in the Brisbane River.

Bull shark suspected after carcass left with chunk missing

Local Partners