DID you know the Romans thought strawberries had healing properties? Here are ten more facts you may not have known in anticipation of our free seeds promotion
1. Radishes can be as long as 92cm (3 feet) long.
2. You can grill lettuce.
3. The largest beetroot ever grown weighed more than 70 kilograms.
4. We think there are possibly more than 15,000 tomato varieties.
5. The world's heaviest tomato weighed 3.51 kg.
6. In the US, tomatoes can legally be called a fruit or a vegetable but in Australia, we know better.
7. Watermelon is 91.5% water, making it one of the most hydrated foods around.
8. Watermelons were placed in the tombs of kings and queens to feed them in the afterlife.
9. Strawberries are the only fruit that wear their seeds on the outside. The average berry is adorned with some 200 of them.
10. Strawberries are members of the rose family.
Starting Saturday we'll be giving away a free packet of seeds every day for three weeks, while stocks last.
The seeds will include a great selection of fruit and vegetables, herbs and flowers, allowing you to start planting a backyard patch bursting with flavour and colour.
All you need to do is cut out your daily coupon from this newspaper and take it to your local participating news-agent.
As well as giving you a great start to your garden, we're also giving one lucky reader the chance to win a day with outdoors guru Costa Georgiadis, who will help you plan and create your ideal vegie patch.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.