WITH Father's Day just around the corner, many Aussies are beginning to ponder the ultimate gift idea.
This year, why not put thoughts of World's Best Dad mugs aside and start planning the ultimate the gift: a trip of a lifetime with the old man.
Quality time spent exploring the world together is a memory you'll both have forever. Whether it's for this Father's Day or a work in progress for next, here are travel.com.au's top adventures to do with Dad to help get you started.
1. Kokoda Track, Papua New Guinea: Walk in the footsteps of the Aussie soldiers who gallantly fought in the depths of the PNG jungle. Whether it's of particular family significance or simply national pride, this is a physical and emotional journey that you and Dad will never forget.
2. Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania: Imagine standing beside your Dad on top of the highest mountain in Africa. An exhausting but extremely rewarding experience, this climb will test your fitness and bond you closer together.
3. Great Barrier Reef: If your father hasn't been, the Whitsundays are screaming to be ticked off the bucket list. If he has, no doubt he will jump at the chance to return. Snorkelling with exotic marine life, relaxing in the sun with a book, sailing from island to island … all the ingredients required for a relaxing time.
4. Milford Track, New Zealand: Once described as the finest walk in the world, take Dad to join the 14,000 people who complete this adventure from Glade Wharf to Milford Sound each year. Be sure to book in early - only 40 people are allowed to start the walk each day to preserve this pristine corner of our world.
5. Zao Onsen, Japan: Renowned for world-class ski slopes and the bizarre "snow monsters" or "ice trees", Zao Onsen Ski Resort is the ideal destination for a father who loves a chilly getaway. If he is up to it, set off on the 10km run promising to give the legs an impressive workout. You'll both be thankful for the town's famous hot spring once you're done.
6. Sydney Lake, Ontario, Canada: Take Dad on a classic adventure to this fisherman's paradise. Whether you land a big one or get nothing at all, you're guaranteed to enjoy each other's company as you soak up the beauty of Canada.
8. Yosemite, California, United States: Half Dome, Mirror Lake, Yosemite Falls - these are just a few names that may spring to mind when dreaming of the unspoiled natural beauty of the Yosemite Valley. Whether it's a stroll through the woods or an all-day hiking excursion, the adventures waiting within Yosemite will create a lasting bond with Dad.
9. Bali: If your Dad thinks of himself as quite the surfing pro, why not hit up the waves off the coast of Bali together for some ocean-bound quality time. After, chill out with a drink in hand and soak up the Balinese culture to top off your getaway.
10. Iceland: This is a land of glaciers and waterfalls, white snow and green hills, boiling mud pools and spurting geysers. Iceland's magical landscapes create the ultimate adventure playground to explore with dad.
Beautifully presented, with features not found in most homes, you will be delighted to call this property YOURS. Offering high end value for discerning buyers.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.