THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
You will be impressed by the layout and separation of spaces on offer here, with the unusual design of this tri-level 3 bedroom home in the sought after suburb of...
IDEAL FOR HOME BUSINESS OR WORKSHOP GUEST HOUSE WITH FULL KITCHEN / HOME OFFICE OR GRANNY FLAT 2.5 ACRES - LANDSCAPED MANICURED & FULLY FENCED ACRES (10120...
Fresh to hit the market is this lovely lowset brick home that has just been renovated inside with new carpet, paint and blinds throughout. High ceilings are...
This is a prime blue chip block of land (with a 3 Bay Shed!!). Right in the centre of the sought after suburb of Yamanto, you can make all your dreams come true by...
~ 2700m2* site with Warrego Highway frontage ~ 500m2* complex (gross floor area) ~ Annexe and extra office attached - 159m2* ~ Zoned - Business area ~ Real future...
Extremely MOTIVATED VENDOR offers to you his much LOVED COUNTRY HOME in Summerholm. Sitting on a fantastic 10,000m² block with picturesque mountain views is this...
Stunning Bungalow and a Shed A gorgeous Californian Bungalow situated within walking distance to train station, Booval Fair shopping centre and Sacred Heart...
862SQM FULLY FENCED YARD WITH DOUBLE LOCK UP SHED MASSIVE DOWNSTAIRS RUMPUS WITH FULL LENGTH STORAGE CUPBOARDS RETAINED CHARACTER AND CLASSIC LONG TERM...
* Prime location with new development in immediate area * Currently on periodic lease for legal firm * Walk to Ipswich city mall and Rail * Zoning- CBD Primary...
WOW ALL OF THIS.......FOR HOW MUCH!! THAT'S RIGHT - THIS MUST BE THE BEST VALUE PROPERTY IN THE AREA!! OVER THREE QUARTERS OF AN ACRE + 3 BEDROOM HOUSE + LARGE...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.