THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
Just imagine having your own tranquil paradise located in the hills behind Boonah that offers a fully self sustainable lifestyle with solar power gas oven and hot...
With power already to this beautiful block, this could be a terrific location to build your dream home - view to the rear of the block on a gentle rise overlooking...
This amazing lifestyle block of offers spectacular panoramic views overlooking rural farmland and rolling hillsides and sits in an ideal location, only a minute to...
This great block of land is ideally situated on a corner allotment, with panoramic views overlooking rural farmland and rolling hillsides and sits in an ideal...
This great block of land is ideally situated in a quiet cul-de-sac, just a few minutes to the Warrego Highway, only 30 minutes from the Ipswich CBD, 40 minutes to...
This great property offers a fantastic opportunity for first home buyers or investors, and must be sold in order for the owners to make the next step in their...
This beautiful 3 bedroom brick home is located on a 6,600m² allotment in Regency Downs, featuring one of, if not THE BEST landscaped gardens in the suburb! With an...
MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE A MUST TO INSPECT!!! Quiet Cul-de-sac and overlooking the bush land Stylish home with shed & Undercover Entertainment area Quiet and handy...
Ideally located on a fully fenced 6,001m² block is this lowset three bedroom home, set against beautiful mountain backdrops, just a few minutes off the Warrego...
ARMANI CLASS AND STYLE WITH A BUDGET PRICE TAG QUIET CUL-DE-SAC WITH 5 HUGE BEDROOMS & MEDIA ROOM!!!! CLOSE TO BRASSALL AND NEXT TO GRAMMAR PARK ESTATE. Quality...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.