THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
OWNERS COMMITTED ELSEWHERE - This Outstanding Property must be seen to fully comprehend the extent and potential of the features on offer. The extraordinary...
You certainly wont beat the location of this neat three bedroom low set brick and tile home. Set on a 610m2 corner block in the ever popular and sought after...
This home presents immaculately and is positioned in a sort after estate by Home Owners and Investors alike. Listed at only $320,000 this property ticks all the...
The owners of this lovely Plantation home (only 3 years old) have now decided to sell which now gives you the opportunity to upgrade the family home and lifestyle.
It's stylish with good street appeal and a little different than the others plus it was built by renowned Ipswich builder G&P homes only a few years ago.
Investors! Do not miss out on the chance to purchase this iconic Brisbane Road property being offered for sale for the first time. This purpose built 2 level...
FHOG applies for the first home buyers if you are just starting out with a premium location at its best! Situated in a cul-de-sac along with a family friendly park...
Indulge your dream in this ultra modern stylish home on a fully fenced secure 593 m2! Not your average home! Once in a while you discover a modern home in the...
Yes, forget about all the hassle in trying to fix up and tidy up some other place , here all the hard, expensive work is done for you. This Split level home offers...
Situated in the heart of Blackstone this less than 2 year old home on an 451m2 block is a great start for the home owner or investor, this is an opportunity not to...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.