THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
This is the first time this property has been offered for sale so don't delay on inspecting this genuine one owner home. It is nestled on a large fully fenced...
Go on, spoil yourself and your family with this amazing mansion that everyone admires as they drive down Kingston Drive. Not only is the home so attractive , so...
FEATURES - 3/4 Bedrooms - 2 way bathroom - Separate toilet and powder room - Separate 'L' shaped dining and lounge room with fire place - Ducted air cond - Home...
- Open plan kitchen, dining and lounge area with polished floor hardwood floors - 4 Bedrooms - Neat and tide bathroom - DLUG and extra storage area underneath ...
Bring your canoes, boats, fishing gear, camping gear and all the family, right here right now. Come home for Christmas. Hop skip and jump to the CBD of...
This truly outstanding family residence has had a total stunning makeover and now presents like new. Situated in a great location in one of the highest spots in...
Every suburb has desirable streets to live and Karen Court Raceview would have to be in the Top 5 streets to live in Raceview. The street is a cul-de-sac with only...
This architecturally & custom designed home from Ipswich's most renowned builder Steve Parcel is an essential viewing. One of Flinders Views more exclusive...
This Property is perfectly proportioned with living spaces merging flawlessly with the outdoor entertaining areas and the sparkling resort style pool which can be...
This brand new Simonds home is built and ready for you to occupy..now! Positioned high in the new Sovereign Pocket estate at Deebing Heights. A family friendly...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.