THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
Having trouble finding the perfect investment property? Look no further... First time buyers and investors will be impressed by the great location and large fully...
OWNERS PLANS HAVE CHANGED - SO SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY TO SECURE THE BEST BLOCK OF LAND AVAILABLE IN CHUWAR TODAY!! THERE ARE NOT MANY RESIDENTIAL BLOCKS FOR...
PURE PERFECTION!! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT HOME? FIRST TIME OFFERED, NOTHING HAS BEEN LEFT OUT OF THE PICTURE WITH THIS MAGNIFICENT ACREAGE PROPERTY WHICH...
This ideal family home features four bedrooms, the master with ensuite and walk in robe, and a light-filled open plan kitchen, dining and living area. Positioned...
Uniquely positioned in a quiet cul-de-sac within a prestigious pocket of Karalee, the lifestyle provided by this beautiful residence and blue chip locality is...
BRILLIANT INVESTMENT OR FIRST HOME! Set in the picturesque town of Marburg only 15 min from Ipswich, in the fast growing living corridor of South East Queensland...
Are you sick and tired of the hustle and bustle of the city life? Well, this wonderfully presented family home sits on a FLAT 6000m2 block, located in gorgeous...
For all you looking for a great little place to call home, or looking for a secure investment to add to the portfolio, look no further. This two bedroom townhouse...
INTRODUCING....... 33 Moonlight Drive Brassall. The owners are sadly selling their pride and joy to move closer to their family due to health reasons, SO this is...
This beautifully presented home sits proudly on a fully fenced 612m2 block in a convenient location, just minutes to local amenities. The owners have instructed me...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.