THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
WITH COOL POOL - VERY LOW MAINTENANCE Look no further, this is the one you have been waiting for! With a lovely modern fresh look, this beautifully presented...
This Winston Glades Estate property is definitely one not to miss. It boasts so many extras that many families can only wish for. For starters, imagine pulling...
You must get inside this large brick home and see how you and your family could be enjoying so much extra space. The hub of the home is the extensive open plan...
Go on, spoil yourself and your family with this amazing home that everyone admires as they drive down Kingston Drive. Not only is the home so attractive , so too...
FEELS LIKE HOME! Come take a look, you wont be disappointed. This lovely end unit is bigger than most and sure to impress. Highly regarded and sought after complex...
OWNERS COMMITTED WITH A PURCHASE ELSEWHERE AND "BUTTONSVILLE" MUST BE SOLD HISTORIC IPSWICH ICON "BUTTONSVILLE" (Circa 1881) AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN HERITAGE...
Come home for Christmas. Feet up. Swimmers on! ALL THIS WILL MOVE YOU! We present a home to be proud of and one which will embrace your family and friends with...
38 Diamond Street, Riverview. Great Central Location. Walk to Bus Stop, short to Riverview Rail, Drive and Park @ Dinmore Station. Close to Primary and Secondary...
ALL THIS WILL MOVE YOU! In a snap shot. 949 m2. Pool, deck to live on, 2 Living areas plus! 4 real Bedrooms. 2 Bathrooms. Family sized open plan dining and...
Sitting proud and prominent in a convenient leafy street is one if Ipswich's best character homes. It ticks all the boxes for the modern day family or the...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.