THE Round Mountain Girls are just one example of local and far flung events and entertainment visiting Cooly Rocks On 2012.
It will be the Girls' second showing at the rock 'n' roll nostalgia festival which starts this Friday and runs until June 11.
Front man Chris Booker said the band was neither rockabilly nor classic rock'n'roll though somehow found a strong audience among festival fans.
"The song Foggy Mountain Breakdown that we do is a 1950s car chase classic and I think that sort of thing is how we slip under the radar."
The Pure Gold stage hosted the Girls last year, which it will do again, though they will also play a Jack Evans Boat Harbour performance.
Mr Booker said the band was asked to return because of its stellar reception last year.
"Bob Newman (operations manager) said we were the surprise band of last year, which is really encouraging.
"At the moment we've got myself on guitar and mandolin, Chris Eaton on lead guitar and banjo and Rabbit on fiddle.
"We've also started experimenting with the harmonica and didgeridoo.
"I'm on the harmonica and Chris finds the didgeridoo fascinating - so he's having a go at that."
He said the Cooly Rocks On crowd could expect a different Round Mountain Girls flavour this year and attributed the band's success to its "one-two" beat.
"We're also uplifting, with a high energy and when people come across us at festivals that's a strong rhythm.
"And I think rockabilly has that strong rhythm as well."
The band plays Jack Evans on Saturday, June 9 from 2pm and the Pure Gold stage from 3pm the following day.
- Street Parade: Cars, motorbikes, floats, caravans, boats, walkers, dancers and skaters will hit the streets from 10am on Saturday, June 9;
- Poodle-Oodle Parade: The 1950s and 60s were poodle-saturated and this competition will offer prizes for creative clips, best dressed rock'n'roll and waggiest tail, among others, from 10am Sunday, June 10, on the corner of Griffith and Warner St;
- The Elvis Collector: Rusty Roberts has been collecting all things The King for about four decades and features in this exhibition from June 1 to 11 at Level One, Shop 207/87 Griffith St;
- Youth Talent Quest: The search is on for Australia's next generation of rock'n'rollers;
- Nostalgia Markets: Queen Elizabeth Park offers more than 100 retro market stalls during the festival's Grand Finale weekend;
- Ambassadors: Aussie rockers Frankie J Holden and Wilbur Wilde will be meeting fans on the streets this year;
- Cars: More than 1200 vintage autos will feature during and in the lead-up to Shannons Show 'n' Shine during June 9-10 across Coolangatta, Tweed Heads and Kirra;
- Dance Competition: Tunes from Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, The Chiffons, The Kinks and other classics will lead 2012's competition;
- Old Malibu Comp: Watch some of the best malibu riders hang ten right on the beachfront from 7am on June 2.
Visit the Cooly Rocks On website for more.
This fantastic house is situated in one of the most sought after streets in Flinders View. This street was and still is one of the most desired locations in...
Time poor? This well loved, immaculate and beautifully presented, Character home with traditional charm is oh so very close to it all. Come and discover our...
Located in a prestigious and convenient pocket of Flinders View, this property is situated on an 800m2 elevated block and is surrounded by some of Ipswich's finest...
For those who appreciate quality, style, location but want more house for less money. This brand new Metricon home is impressive and well appointed. Come on spoil...
Situated only 15 mins from the Ipswich CBD this thriving country town business of 22 years is an excellent opportunity for an astute business person to grow the...
Just perfect for those starting out and wanting something special, from the stunning portico and front entrance to all the new modern designer fixtures & fittings...
The heading describes this great property in two words and you won't be disappointed when you book an appointment to view this great home. Located in the best...
This brand new Kerdic home has lots of style and offers low maintenance living and is positioned in the popular Parklands Estate in Raceview. - Offering 4 built...
* Professional offices on 2 levels -Upstairs 293m2* and Downstairs - 66m2* * Main street frontage with high volume traffic in the heart of the Ipswich CBD with...
* Currently tenanted as coffee shop with in-house dining - 46m2 * Rear kitchen, rear access, parking and toilet facilities * Main street frontage with...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.