News

Cuts cost sick residents

Steve Bean and Margaret Perry are both undergoing dialysis and rely on patient transfer service. Due to funding cuts this service is no longer available. lPhoto: Inga Williams / The Reporter
Steve Bean and Margaret Perry are both undergoing dialysis and rely on patient transfer service. Due to funding cuts this service is no longer available. lPhoto: Inga Williams / The Reporter Inga Williams

LOGAN residents who rely on weekly dialysis treatment to survive are angered at the scrapping of patient transfer vehicles by the State Government.

Just before Christmas, both Steve Bean and Margaret Perry were told they would need to find alternative transport to take them to and from the hospital, as funding would no longer be provided to the service.

Both feel this is a spending cut which has put their lives in jeopardy.

Mr Bean, who is being treated with dialysis, said since the axing of the patient transfer service, he has found it hard to make his weekly appointments.

"Anybody who has ever had dialysis before knows it can make you very ill," Mr Bean said.

"Because I can't drive myself to and from the hospital for my treatment, I have been having to rely on my elderly parents to take me.

"If they can't take me I have been having to take a cab, which costs me about $25 each way.

"But the problem with taking a cab as well is they don't always arrive on time, so that could mean you are late for your appointment which means that your dialysis treatment could be cut shorter.

"Our health is compromised if we are not there on time.

"When you have finished your dialysis you feel very unwell and most taxi drivers are hesitant to take you if you are going to be sick."

Ms Perry said she was disgusted with the way in which she was told.

"It was just before Christmas which meant it was very hard to find anything out or make other arrangements," she said.

"We hardly had a minutes notice.

"I tried to call the Premier's office to find out what was happening but they were not helpful at all."

State Member for Woodridge Desley Scott said more than 40 patients had been put at risk due to this recent funding cut.

"Just a week before Christmas the State Government had again callously slashed a vital frontline healthcare service which was helping some of the most vulnerable members of our community," she said.

"To leave patients on kidney dialysis in limbo was really scrapping the bottom of the barrel for heartless acts," she said.

The Reporter did contact the Minister for Health, Lawrence Springborg for a comment but he was unavailable.

However, a media representative said they were looking into the issue.

Topics:  dialysis, funding cuts


Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Councillors’ election promise to deliver CBD project questioned

DOUBT: Andrew Antoniolli, Paul Pisasale and Paul Tully announce the lagoon project in February.

Councillors’ election promise to deliver CBD project questioned

Images of our shameful past

FOUND: Wade Thompson and Henry Thompson Jr at the Deebing Creek Mission Cemetery.

Images of our shameful past

Show out to deliver the thrills

The Safari Zoo is expected to be a big attraction for the kids.

Show out to deliver the thrills s

Latest deals and offers

She ran a meth lab in her shed, but walked free from court

Hatton Vale woman with a meth lab in her mum's shed has faced court.

Baby boy arrives on driveway of grandparents' home

Toby Hill was born on June 22 on his grandparents driveway in Riverhills. Pictured is grandfather Nick Eagle, emergency dispatcher Marie Grant, grandmother Donna Eagle, paramedic Kate Patis, mum Hannah Hill, paramedic Rachel Prentice, dad Matt Hill and big brother Bradley Hill.

Woman gives birth to impatient baby on driveway

Man "shot in the chest" after disagreement over iPad

Judge gives offender spray over her actions.

Jayde Kendall murder accused to plead not guilty

MURDERED TEEN: Jayde Amanda Kendall.

Brenden Jacob Bennetts charged with teen's murder on

Sentimental find by police, is this yours?

The letter (pictured), along with other property of sentimental value was located on June 24 in a vehicle in North Ipswich.

Property in a vehicle in North Ipswich on June 24

Learn to empower business with guest speaker

Damian Morgan will exchange ideas with some of Ipswich's business leaders during a series of free seminars he will be holding at the Ipswich Civic Centre on Wednesday June 15.

Damian Morgan to speak at business leaders seminar

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward