After 16 years in the job, Independent Member for Gladstone Liz Cunningham has won the right to continue for another term.
Mrs Cunningham secured victory over her nearest rival, Labour candidate Glenn Butcher, by a considerable margin.
"Its exciting, it's humbling," she said at the end of a very long day. "I've got a team of people in there that have worked so hard. Not jsut today but some of them for a number of weeks getting the campaign ready. I am incredibly thankful to them and I am so thankful to the community that voted."
Mrs Cunningham expressed optimism that she could work with the new LNP government led by Campbell Newman.
"I've met already with Campbell newman to talk about our infrastructure needs and he's well aware of that and he has acknowledged the growth stresses that are her in Gladstone."
In the wake of a monumental victory by LNP over the Labor government, Mrs Cunningham said the public had "simply had enough."
Labor Candidate Glenn Butcher has conceded defeat at about 7.30 pm.
At 8 pm, Mrs Cunningham had 49.65 percent of the primary vote after 19 out of 22 polling booths had been counted.
Her nearest rival, Mr Butcher had 29.08 percent.
As counting nears conclusion in the polling booths around the seat of Gladstone, the Independent Memeber for Gladstone Liz Cunningham looks to be romping home.
LNP candidate Russell Schroder had 10.48 percent.
Katter's Australian Party candidate Anthony Beezley had 8.80 percent.
Greens candidate Andrew Blake had 2.00 percent.
More to come.
A perfect day with blue skies greeted voters after a week of horrible weather.
News from today includes;
- Independent member for Gladstone Liz Cunningham voted early this morning at Calliope.
- Gladstone's Greens candidate, Andrew Green, will vote in the seat of Ashwood today. He told the Observer his party is full of optimism today and he believes the party has a strong chance of winning its first ever seat in parliament. That seat, if won, would likely be Mt Cooper.
- Labor candidate Glenn Butcher voted at midday in Kin Kora. He said he was still optimistic about his chances of causing an upset victory in the seat, which is expected to be helb by Mrs Cunningham. he described it as a "two-horse race" between himself and Mrs Cunningham.
- Mr Butcher said he was disappointed Premier Anna Bligh had conceded defeat so early in the election campaign.
- LNP candidate Russell Schroter said his party had made a strategic decision not to hand out how-to-vote cards because they were concerned they would split the conservative vote and give Labor a stronger chance of winning the seat from Liz Cunningham. The strategy indicates the LNP gave itself little chance of defeating Mrs Cunningham, and decided its best option was to take their foot off the accelerater. Gladstone was considered a safe Labor seat until Mrs Cunningham won it 16 years ago. Mr Schroder said he accepted the party's decision.
- Mr Butcher described as "disgusting" the decision by LNP not to attempt to win the seat as a strategy to clear the way for his defeat.
- Katter's Australian Party candidate Anthony Beezley said it was a "relief" to finish the campaign. He also said he was proud of the campaign and would step up for another role in politics.
Within 30 minutes of Brisbane CBD is Centenary Place a very well maintained town house complex. Inside the complex you will discover the great pool area, BBQ area...
This modern and secure complex of Suncare Lakes is positioned within walking distance to Brassall Shopping Village. The spacious 3 bedroom unit has tiled living...
The property is located in the suburb of North Ipswich and is within minutes of major shopping centre, easy highway access to Brisbane and Toowoomba, Primary and...
VALUE PACKED / STYLISH HOME FOR FIRST HOME BUYERS OR EXCELLENT RETURN FOR THE INVESTOR This stylish and comfortable home is situated on 607sqm in a location...
HAVEN OF PEACE ON 1,012m² BLOCK SUB-DIVIDE OR DUAL OCCUPANCY subject to ICC If living in the best part of town is what you are looking for then look no further...
MULTI-LEVEL CONTEMPORAY FAMILY HOME WITH GOLF COURSE FRONTAGE AND VIEWS! Perched up high on an elevated 1,646m2 parcel of useable land sits this unique tri-level...
Looking for a lifestyle change where you can sit back and relax in a prime position close to all amenities and enjoy life. This is the property you have been...
3,632m2 block situated in progressive industrial area. * Zoned LDC Limited development (confirm usage options with Ipswich City Council) * Minutes to Ipswich CBD...
This spectacular and beautifully designed home sits on an elevated manicured 1 acre block with fantastic views to the Flinders Range. Boasting great street appeal...
This generously sized Unit was designed with your lifestyle in mind. The modern kitchen opens onto the air conditioned open plan dining and living area. The...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.