After 16 years in the job, Independent Member for Gladstone Liz Cunningham has won the right to continue for another term.
Mrs Cunningham secured victory over her nearest rival, Labour candidate Glenn Butcher, by a considerable margin.
"Its exciting, it's humbling," she said at the end of a very long day. "I've got a team of people in there that have worked so hard. Not jsut today but some of them for a number of weeks getting the campaign ready. I am incredibly thankful to them and I am so thankful to the community that voted."
Mrs Cunningham expressed optimism that she could work with the new LNP government led by Campbell Newman.
"I've met already with Campbell newman to talk about our infrastructure needs and he's well aware of that and he has acknowledged the growth stresses that are her in Gladstone."
In the wake of a monumental victory by LNP over the Labor government, Mrs Cunningham said the public had "simply had enough."
Labor Candidate Glenn Butcher has conceded defeat at about 7.30 pm.
At 8 pm, Mrs Cunningham had 49.65 percent of the primary vote after 19 out of 22 polling booths had been counted.
Her nearest rival, Mr Butcher had 29.08 percent.
As counting nears conclusion in the polling booths around the seat of Gladstone, the Independent Memeber for Gladstone Liz Cunningham looks to be romping home.
LNP candidate Russell Schroder had 10.48 percent.
Katter's Australian Party candidate Anthony Beezley had 8.80 percent.
Greens candidate Andrew Blake had 2.00 percent.
More to come.
A perfect day with blue skies greeted voters after a week of horrible weather.
News from today includes;
- Independent member for Gladstone Liz Cunningham voted early this morning at Calliope.
- Gladstone's Greens candidate, Andrew Green, will vote in the seat of Ashwood today. He told the Observer his party is full of optimism today and he believes the party has a strong chance of winning its first ever seat in parliament. That seat, if won, would likely be Mt Cooper.
- Labor candidate Glenn Butcher voted at midday in Kin Kora. He said he was still optimistic about his chances of causing an upset victory in the seat, which is expected to be helb by Mrs Cunningham. he described it as a "two-horse race" between himself and Mrs Cunningham.
- Mr Butcher said he was disappointed Premier Anna Bligh had conceded defeat so early in the election campaign.
- LNP candidate Russell Schroter said his party had made a strategic decision not to hand out how-to-vote cards because they were concerned they would split the conservative vote and give Labor a stronger chance of winning the seat from Liz Cunningham. The strategy indicates the LNP gave itself little chance of defeating Mrs Cunningham, and decided its best option was to take their foot off the accelerater. Gladstone was considered a safe Labor seat until Mrs Cunningham won it 16 years ago. Mr Schroder said he accepted the party's decision.
- Mr Butcher described as "disgusting" the decision by LNP not to attempt to win the seat as a strategy to clear the way for his defeat.
- Katter's Australian Party candidate Anthony Beezley said it was a "relief" to finish the campaign. He also said he was proud of the campaign and would step up for another role in politics.
Bring your canoes, boats, fishing gear, camping gear and all the family, right here right now. Come home for Christmas. Hop skip and jump to the CBD of...
Come and see our location and the lifestyle we have on offer! Lucky you! Don't judge a book by her cover !Your Character home reflects all the charm of your 12 ft...
Welcome to a very special home with a strong past, graceful presence and a secure future. Location is exceptional. 1860s Circa on two lots. Train Carriage retreat.
10a Syntax Street CHARACTER, STYLE, 2 LEVELS BLUE CHIP LOCATION HOP, SKIP, JUMP to the best of Ipswich ! Two generations or one big family? Designed to embrace...
With a commanding position over looking popular Eastern Heights, this massive brick home is the ideal place to call home. There is excellent side access for vans...
Character home with traditional charm so close to it all. Come and see our location and the lifestyle we have on offer! Lucky you! All this for you on 759m2 ...
This beautiful home is waiting for your family to move in. Offering the best of both indoor and outdoor living it's hard not to fall in love when you walk through...
Beautifully presented and well maintained solid family home! Within walking distance Redbank Plaza with shops, restaurants & cinemas, bus and just minutes to rail...
89 Robertson Road Raceview BRING THE CARAVAN Yes! There is space for all the family plus the Man Cave or Teenagers get away. Essential internal stairs. Three...
Presenting a home you will be proud to own. Yes rear yard access! Lowset, low maintenance, well respected Brick home on 708 M2. Come home, put your feet up and...
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.